30 Jun Superfoods
What are Superfoods?
Superfoods are nutritionally dense foods that are mainly plant based, but can be certain fish and dairy.
What makes a Superfood a Superfood?
There isn’t any true criteria that makes certain food ‘Super’, as Superfoods do not have a food group designated to them. However, Superfoods are high in certain nutrients like:
- Antioxidants: To help with the prevention of cancer.
- Healthy Fats: Good for the prevention of heart disease
- Fibre: For the prevention of diabetes and digestive problems
- Phytochemicals: Helps neutralize free radicals
Types of Superfoods:
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, cranberries
- Dark leafy greens: Kale, swiss chard, spinach, radish greens
- Sweet potatoes and squash
- Whole grains
- Fish: Salmon, sardines, and mackeral
- Other fruit: Acai, dragon fruit and pomegranate